Discussion Topics

« Return to Announcements

Home - Based Spanish Immersion Preschool Program

Spanish Junior Academy

Home - Based Spanish Immersion Preschool Program

Spanish Junior Academy is a home-based full Spanish immersion preschool program that provides young children the opportunity to acquire the Spanish language naturally. Students in the program are immersed in Spanish while involved in a developmentally appropriate, play-based preschool curriculum. They are provided with quality education, a nurturing 'home' like environment and the personalized attention little learners need. Our daily routine and activities are similar to the ones children experience in preschool or kindergarten, but they are conducted entirely in Spanish in a warm, secure home environment. The classroom is set in a large sunroom surrounded by trees in the teacher’s home. The curriculum and instruction are guided by the National Association for the Education of Young Children Standards, Virginia’s Foundation Blocks for Early Learning and the Full Spanish Immersion method for teaching/acquiring a language. In addition, age-appropriate materials and equipment makes the classroom a great and fun place for learning.

History

I started Spanish Junior Academy two years ago, when I was looking for preschool options for my oldest daughter. As a teacher and mother, I knew exactly what I wanted; a research based Spanish immersion preschool curriculum, a warm, inviting, non-institutionalized environment, and highly qualified, caring teachers. Since I didn’t find a program that met all of my needs, Spanish Junior Academy was born.

Teacher Qualifications and Program Licenses

The teacher is a native Spanish speaker, holds a Bachelors’ Degree in Early Childhood Education from Catholic University of Peru and a Master of Education Degree in Curriculum and Instruction (focus in Multilingual/Multicultural Education) from George Mason University. She also has a current Virginia teaching license and 14 years of experience as a teacher. She has taught in Arlington and Fairfax County Immersion/Bilingual Programs as well as in private schools.

The program is licensed by the state of Virginia and Arlington County.

Schedule

2009-2010 SY: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon

2010-2011 SY: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon

Contact Information

Ana Mendez

(703) 597-4906

amendez0077@hotmail.com

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Bilingual Families / Familias Bilingües