The Bilingual Edge: why when and how to teach your child a second language

This is a wonderful book written by 2 Georgetown University Professors - Kendall King and Alison Mackey.  It is an easy to read and very well researched account of all the combined benefits of bilingual education.  In particular it has a section on Myth Busting which continues to amaze me!  I love referring my friends, and those who doubt the introduction of a second language at an early age, to this book.  It states very clearly that the benefits FAR outweigh any of the negatives, and to the extent there are any negatives they are short lived - for example, there is no hard evidence to show significant speech delays in children - one of the biggest myths believed by educators and speech therapists alike!  Noone on this site will be surprised by anything in the book - but it is a great book to have on your shelves.  All in all keeping up a second language at home is one of the greatest gifts we can give our children, both bc of the exposure of their brain to a second language and the brain mapping and stimulus that happens when a child is leanring to languages, AND because of the cultural connection and global view it gives kids of the world.  Our heritage cultures are so important to maintain - so much pride and beauty and history is at risk of being lost when we do not share this gift with our children.  Why do these myths persist STILL and why, oh why, is the U.S. STILL so monolingual - will this ever change?

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

Bilingual Families / Familias Bilingües